Very Low Power Mesh

Any special requests for new products? Post them here

Re: Very Low Power Mesh

Postby brennen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:04 pm

There's no reason you couldn't add AES encryption to my protocol if you were interested in it. You would just need to grab the AES library and then encrypt the data you sent out.
brennen
Site Admin

Postby kiwironnie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:56 am

Yes, absolutely. I've shifted from Microchip devices to using ARM Cortex from ST Micro, which is almost a bicycle versus a race car, but with a complexity learning curve to match! There are F4 and F2 versions available with on board crypto processors. All of the F4's have floating point maths hardware, but in any case the entire Cortex range should be powerful enough to accommodate software based crypto maths for most applications without unacceptable lag.

Adding 'sleep' I think will change things a bit. The only nodes that can really sleep will be those not involved in routing, unless some latency is acceptable waiting for nodes to wake-up and listen. For monitoring applications where sensors can wake up and sense at intervals (in effect a low application duty cycle), the entire network could sleep during non-sensing, regular time slots. This would be ideal for e.g. water tank level and ski field depth monitoring, which are a couple of requirements that I'm looking to support.
kiwironnie

Postby mrengineer » Fri May 29, 2015 10:07 am

Hey guys!
I am doing a project using nRF51 of two phases. phase one is to make peer to peer communication enabled. Then proceed to enable wireless mesh networking in phase two.
Your ideas and contributions has given me big hope that it is possible and can be achieved. :D
So now I wanna ask if one have an idea how to start P2P communication and if there is any flow chart or something that can explain.
mrengineer

Postby kiwironnie » Fri May 29, 2015 10:57 pm

Hi mrengineer
As a suggestion have a look at the open source Contiki project (www.contiki-os.org), which implements low power mesh.
In any case, I just wonder why you would want to use the nRF51?
With radio networking the biggest challenge and effort typically comes from the software, so unless you are prepared to embark on a massive effort, it may be better to select hardware for which other people have already done the work. For low powered mesh you would have to implement a routing algorithm and duty cycling of some sort, as indicated above. Some of the latest radio hardware already incorporates duty cycling functionality (e.g. TI CC2650 ). So unless you are tied to the Nordic device I would be looking at something like this, using Contiki, or at least that is the approach I have taken with some success. TI is pretty good at providing free samples if you want to experiment. Best wishes, Ron.
kiwironnie

Previous

Return to Product Suggestions