ANT Again

Any special requests for new products? Post them here

ANT Again

Postby kiwironnie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:12 pm

Six months on! I've pretty much completed a system for measuring water level in remote tanks. based on the nrf24l01+ (power amplified modules) with PIC24 micros, ultrasonic sensors, and heavily enabled initially by your wonderful tutorials Brennen. It would be good to take this further. There's a lot of potential for these kinds of sensor systems here in New Zealand, our on our farms etc. However, line of sight communications in NZ is limited by the very hilly terrain, so again I'm back to meshes or similar, and it looks like Nordic powered ANT would be ideal. It satisfies all the missing functionality of the nRF24L01+ that's needed to support meshing, e.g. broadcast, yet is not as bloated as Zigbee. So right now I'm looking for an inexpensive nRF24AP2 module, preferably power amplified for range, and using an external antenna. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers, Ron.
kiwironnie

Re: ANT Again

Postby brennen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:44 am

I don't have any ANT modules yet, but I have seen interest in them, so I may lay out a board for the nRF24AP2 chip. I know that Sparkfun sells modules for the nRF24AP1, but that's about all I know of within the ANT realm.
brennen
Site Admin

Postby kiwironnie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks Brennen. Although ANT has been positioned for relatively short range, health/sports type monitoring, as it can be watch battery powered, there is nothing that limits it technically to this kind of application. With radio power amplification in particular it could be used to implement very capable, battery powered, long range mesh type, monitoring and control networks. In this regard Nordic have confirmed that the radio of the nRF24AP2 chip is identical to the nrf24l01+, and that the power amplification reference design for this chip available on their site, which include pcb layout, can also be used with the nRF24AP2.
kiwironnie

Postby brennen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:43 pm

I haven't really looked into it that much, but do you know what improvements Nordic built into the nRF24AP2 that separate it from the nRF24AP1?
brennen
Site Admin

Postby kiwironnie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:58 am

Darn, nearly 2 years on! Sorry, I wonder if there is a way to automatically tick 'Notify me when a reply is posted', which is the default behaviour of most blogs. Anyway, guess the question is a bit moot now with the AP1's legacy status, but in any case I haven't looked at this chip version closely.
kiwironnie

Postby brennen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:02 pm

I know that when I reply to a topic, there's an options tab below the box where I enter text labeled "Options". In that, you can check the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" and that should get you an email. When I do it, it's checked automatically, so I'm not sure why yours didn't work that way.
brennen
Site Admin

Postby kiwironnie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:06 pm

Brennen, thanks, I notice that the box is now ticked by default under this response. Strange.

Anyway as mentioned under the post on 'mesh', it seems that the nRF24AP2 is effectively an ANT protocol stack running over the data link capability of the nRF24L01+, consequently with the broadcast capabilities of that device. I should really check this with Nordic.
kiwironnie

Postby brennen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:32 pm

To my knowledge that is an accurate statement. I'm not sure if ANT has any built-in settings/protocol for sleeping, though.
brennen
Site Admin

Return to Product Suggestions