Kind of dumb NRF24L01 newbie question

Discussion about wireless devices

Kind of dumb NRF24L01 newbie question

Postby KoryBricker » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:16 pm

I am a long time software engineer but new to the hardware side and electrical engineering (but trying to learn fast :)) so this may be a kind of dumb question but I'm trying to layout a very small PCB with the NRF24L01(for use in a USB dongle) and noticed that there are like 5 VSS pins and 3 VDD pins. Are those two groups connected internally so that I really only need to actually "hookup" 1 of the VSS pins and 1 of the VDD pins? I'm hoping so as it would make my signal routing SO much easier if that is the case. Also if that works are the any draw backs that a newbie should know about?

Thanks so much,
Kory
KoryBricker

Re: Kind of dumb NRF24L01 newbie question

Postby brennen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:49 pm

They are likely connected internally, but you still need to connect them all. It gives you more solid power and ground planes, and helps mitigate any voltage drops that might occur across the chip. The chip may also pull too much current to get it all through one pin. It's a pain to route the extra traces, but it will pay off in the long run. And in the case that the pins on the net(s) in question aren't all connected, then you're pretty much screwed if you leave one or more of the pins unconnected.
brennen
Site Admin

Return to Wireless