nRF24E1 Source Code

Discussion about wireless devices

nRF24E1 Source Code

Postby DIYDAVE » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:12 am

I am trying to design a wireless connection to replace a cable between an existing headset and an intercom system for full-duplex mono communication on board Hong Kong Marine Police boats. Nordic's dealer demo'd their nRF24V1 and it seemed to work in our application. When I noticed that the nRF24E1 had a built in AES encryption accelerator, I thought it might be the best choice due to the existing library of open source code with frequency hopping, etc. but Nordic indicated that the on-board uC was not powerful enough to do the job.

I'm seeking a "Turn-key" (or as close as possible) SoC solution with Gazelle/Shockburst, frequency hopping and 128 AES. We are under tight budget constraints and I do not have the expertise to write the code.

Your ideas, suggestions and comments are welcome. Thank you. www.manifest-hk.com
DIYDAVE

Re: nRF24E1 Source Code

Postby brennen » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Assuming you're using the internal ADC on the nRF24LE1, your best sampling rate is 12 bits at 16k samples per second, which is far below CD quality (16 bits at 44.1k samples per second). If you're not looking for high quality, then this probably sounds at least as good as a CB radio or walkie-talkie. The nRF24LE1 does not have a DAC on-board, so you would have to go with an external one. In a similar project, I've used Microchip's MCP4921 SPI 12-bit DAC and got good results from it, although it wasn't being used for audio.

Adding AES would be fairly trivial as I already have code for that, as well. However, I don't have support for Gazell in my libraries, so that would be more difficult to achieve, as it would have to be ported from Nordic's libraries or written from scratch. Feel free to email me if you have interest in pursuing this project further - brennen at diyembedded dot com.
brennen
Site Admin

Re: nRF24E1 Source Code

Postby DIYDAVE » Wed May 02, 2012 3:25 am

Brennan,

We are not "set" on using the LE1. If your experience suggests a different RF module from a different vendor, I'm very open to hear your suggestions. In fact, I'm even open to using another ISM band because 2.4GHz is sensitive to multi--path fading in this environment.

I look forward to our further discussions.

Dave
DIYDAVE

Return to Wireless