Problem with the PC programmer for the F232R

Questions for programming 8051 microcontrollers in C or assembly using SDCC

Problem with the PC programmer for the F232R

Postby xam1324 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:51 pm

So i got my single nrf LE1 today along with a F232R serial converter. After searching the forums diligently i found this: http://forum.diyembedded.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3586and followed the instructions for the connections.

Im set up on a breadboard with
VUSB ----> Pin 1
TXD -----> pin 6
RXD -----> pin 5
RTS ------>pin 12

and i installed the virtual com port drivers as well as the PC programmer on the F232R's page.

When i boot up the pc software i attempt to connect to the chip with "Check COM" and the program pauses for a moment and then prints "Device not Connected" or "Lost Connection with the Device" but i know that the communication is at least reaching the chip because the red led blinks momentarily before the light blinks on the F232R itself.
Im not exactly sure what im doing wrong. It may be good to mention that i did not include the pullup resistor as i am just testing the example code so there should be no accidental damage.
Most of my programming experience is from the arduino and a little involvement with some texas instruments MCU's so i do have some background knowledge.Any help would be greatly appreciated, even a nudge in the right direction would be great.
xam1324

Re: Problem with the PC programmer for the F232R

Postby brennen » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:02 pm

Did you also connect the GND pin from the FT232R to the LE1 board? Also, if you're using one of the nRF24LE1-24 boards (I'm assuming so because of the TXD/RXD pin locations), then the FT232R's RTS pin should be going to the nRF24LE1-24's /RESET pin, which is pin 10 on the nRF24LE1-24 boards. Also make sure that the "Reset Pin" drop-down box is set to "RTS" in the nRF24Lx1 Programmer application, and "Baud Rate" is set to 38400.
brennen
Site Admin

Postby xam1324 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:58 pm

It was the ground and the reset! I had miscounted which pin i had for the reset and after fixing that and the ground issues it starts like a charm! So naturraly i tried to program the example rf progrram. It starts off as if everything is going great but after it says its complete it tells me that it lost the connection to the device and then in the terminal anything i enter just becomes question marks."????????????????????????????????a$t ð$"

The consle output:

Initiating program/verify sequence...
Parsing hex file...
Parsing hex file complete!
Programming device flash...
Programming device flash complete!
Verifying device flash...
Error: Lost communications with device!
Program/verify sequence failed!
xam1324

Postby brennen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:12 pm

Have you checked your wires for cold solder joints? You may also want to verify that the 3.3V pin stays at 3.3V while you're programming with a multimeter or oscilloscope.

As for the question marks, the tutorial code requires a remote unit to be programmed with code to work properly. The local unit will take a character from your PC, send it to the remote unit, then wait for the remote unit to send it back. If the local unit receives the character back, it will be displayed on your PC. If the local unit times out waiting for the remote unit to send the character back, then it will send the question mark to your PC, indicating the timeout condition.
brennen
Site Admin

Postby xam1324 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:49 pm

I am using a breadboard so i see nowhere that the cold solder joints could form(except for the chip itself).I dont own a oscillator and my voltmeter broke, is there any other way i could check to make sure its 3.3V the whole time?
xam1324

Postby brennen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:33 pm

It sounds like the device is programming properly, but the verify isn't working. There are quite a few things that could cause this, but all the nRF24LE1 boards are tested with an FT232R or MAX3232, so it shouldn't be the chip.

Unless your code acts strangely after you program it, I probably wouldn't be overly concerned about verify not working.
brennen
Site Admin

Postby xam1324 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:42 pm

Is there a simple blink program that i can try and upload to make sure this error is not on my code's side? it does not appear that any of the code i attempt to upload works.
xam1324

Postby xam1324 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:19 am

I uploaded your code into the pc software and it upload and verified correctly. I then realized i had been converting to .ihx files and the pc software requires . hex( im using code::blocks). I looked in the compiler setting for a .hex output and i didnt find any. Is there a way to convert .ihx files to .hex? if not is there a way to make the pc software accept .ihx?
xam1324

Postby brennen » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:48 am

I'm pretty sure SDCC comes with an executable that converts ihx files to hex files. You might want to give that a try.
brennen
Site Admin

Next

Return to 8051 Programming