Accessing RPD Register on nrf24LE1

Questions for programming 8051 microcontrollers in C or assembly using SDCC

Accessing RPD Register on nrf24LE1

Postby lorenberg » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:30 am

Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to embedded systems programming, and I started a project where I need to use the nrf24LE1 chip from Nordic Semiconductor.

I need to access the RPD bit in order to evaluate the noise on a given channel, but I was not able to find a way to access this register.

I read on the datasheet that the RPD is a bit in the register number 9, but I was unable to find any reference to RPD register inside the

header files given with nordic SDK.

I think it should be quite easy, but it's now a couple of days that I'm stuck on this stupid issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!
lorenberg

Re: Accessing RPD Register on nrf24LE1

Postby brennen » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:02 pm

What assembler/compiler are you using?
brennen
Site Admin

Postby lorenberg » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:52 pm

I'm using Keil C51.

But actually I realized that I can access that register using the old name "CD", i.e. the register that was used on nrf24l01+.

I was successful in accessing information using this name instead of RPD....I don't know if it was an error on the datasheet or on the Keil header file I got
with Nordic SDK....but surely it was a bit strange. Nonetheless, the information I got are correct, as well as the address to which CD bit is referring in my headers.

Only problem is that I actually noticed that the RPD (or CD, whatever it is) bit, is set to 1 only when the transmitter is sending something using exactly the same
datarate and same channel of the receiver.

I need to realize a kind of spectrum analyzer, to detect activity on a given channel, but it seems that it's not possible to rely on the CD bit for this purpose.

Do you have any other possible idea?
lorenberg

Postby brennen » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:22 pm

There was a discussion a while back about the RPD bit. See it here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3617&p=4144&hilit=rpd#p4144.
brennen
Site Admin

Postby lorenberg » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks for the support, now I fixed the issue and was able to access the register :).

By the way....do you know if there is any means to receive actual bytes from a given channels? I mean, since I need to create a kind of packet sniffer, I realized that the RX interrupt is triggered only when a VALID packet
is detected by the RF transceiver on the air. Otherwise, no RX is signaled.

Do you know if there is a way I can just attemp a reception of every kind of energy I detect on the channel I'm currently analyzing? (I know I will probably receive just a sequence of bytes, but it does not matter for now).

Thanks again, and congratulations for the outstanding job you've done so far with this forum and your website!
lorenberg

Postby brennen » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Unfortunately, using the L01 and L01+ radios as packet sniffers isn't very viable, unless you know the parameters of the radio you're sniffing. You have to have virtually every parameter right in order for the L01(+) radios to register that they received a packet, so you'd have to know most of the register settings up front.

And thanks for your kind words!
brennen
Site Admin

Return to 8051 Programming