brennen sdk

Questions for programming 8051 microcontrollers in C or assembly using SDCC

brennen sdk

Postby joselalupa » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:54 am

i am starting to learn, i am absolute newbie. i've browsed some pages and seen refering about brennen sdk....where can i get it to start trying? i would like to make what i consider should be simple....sending a 10 characters string from nRF24le1 to a nRF24l01, right now i have two nRF24l01 connected to an arduino nano talking to eachother, i would like to use nRF24l01 as a stand alone transmitter. any help is welcome
joselalupa

Re: brennen sdk

Postby brennen » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:06 pm

I would suggest getting Eclipse IDE with C/C++ support (*NOT* the 8051 version of Eclipse) and SDCC installed on your machine. If you're running Windows, you'll need to make sure you install Cygwin with the full development package. Also note that the "make" utility in the Arduino folders break with my makefiles, so you need to make sure that you put your Cygwin bin folder in your path *before* your Arduino folder on Windows.

Next, download the SDK and one of the test applications to your machine. Unzip both to the same parent folder. Set your Eclipse working directory to that parent folder. Then you can import the projects into Eclipse. Make sure you turn of automatic building in Eclipse. Then you can use the "Build All" button in Eclipse to build your code, and the progress will show in Eclipse's console window.

To load code, you'll need to connect a serial-to-UART adapter between your PC and your nRF24LE1 board. There should be several posts on the forum about how to do that. Then, download the bootloader programmer utility and you'll be able to flash code to the board. One note - there is a bug with the PC programmer utility that will cause it to crash if you have an invalid folder in the path text box. If you clear out the text in that box, it shouldn't crash.
brennen
Site Admin

Postby joselalupa » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:03 am

my next question should be the first....i plan to use nrf24le1 as stand alone, without arduino to send the message, is it possible?
joselalupa

Postby brennen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Yes. The nRF24LE1 is basically an nRF24L01+ with an 8051 microcontroller all on one chip.
brennen
Site Admin

Postby joselalupa » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:34 pm

any idea how to shorten nrf24l range? i need it to be no more than 1.5 meter, actually cutting the antena i am able to do it but i would like to have control over it, maybe a variable resistor, i've try soldering one on top of the surface mounted resistance wich is connected to the antena but it does nothing, no matter the increase of impedance. the low power in the sensor settings is not enough. thanks a lot in advance
joselalupa

Postby brennen » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:57 pm

I would probably ask that question to Nordic's technical support if I were you. They usually respond very quickly.
brennen
Site Admin

Return to 8051 Programming