Nordic's new nRF51 amazing!

Anything else

Nordic's new nRF51 amazing!

Postby robomotic » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:09 pm

Well I would say we better be ready for this baby!
Nordic's new nRF51 Series ULP wireless SoCs slash power consumption, up RF performance, and free designers from proprietary software frameworks
The first two ICs to debut in the nRF51 Series are the nRF51822, a multi-protocol Bluetooth low energy / 2.4GHz proprietary RF SoC, and the nRF51422, the world’s first ANT / ANT+ SoC. These devices share a new higher performance, lower power 2.4GHz multi-protocol radio and a 32-bit ARM Cortex-M0 based processor. These enhancements deliver up to 50% lower power consumption, RF link budget improvements of up to 9.5dB, and over 10x more processing power compared to Nordic's previous generation of ULP wireless ICs - redefining class-leading industry benchmarks

http://www.nordicsemi.com/eng/News/Press-Releases/Product-Related-News/Nordic-s-new-nRF51-Series-ULP-wireless-SoCs-slash-power-consumption-up-RF-performance-and-free-designers-from-proprietary-software-frameworks

Wow I really love the arm and the fact that you could switch between Bluetooth LE or the NRF protocol.
:P
robomotic

Re: Nordic's new nRF51 amazing!

Postby brennen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:34 pm

Wow that chip does everything! What's even more awesome is that it has an ARM Cortex M0 processor on-board! It looks like they'll have 256kB of flash and 16kB of RAM, which is pretty solid. I'm really hoping that they release a GNU toolchain and SDK so that code development is free.
brennen
Site Admin

Re: Nordic's new nRF51 amazing!

Postby robomotic » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:02 am

Indeed finger crossed, I am really looking forward it.
Nordic will have to probably release a customized gcc-arm toolchain, that support the peripherals of the chip.
:?
robomotic

Return to Off-topic